Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Reminder

Life is hard.  Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is lying or has yet to live.  This world was not meant to satisfy the deep longings of our soul.  Yet here we are, all of us, living in a fallen world filled with sin and the pain it begets.  Don't misunderstand me, there are many joys God allows us to experience in this life.  Most of us go through seasons in which  we experience abundant blessings and the pure contentment that springs from the gifts that only God can give.  Then there are the valleys.  The deep valleys where the Refiner's fire burns so hot we cry out for relief.  I have learned it is in these moments when God shows Himself to be mighty in my life.  It is so easy to unintentionally turn one's back on God in moments of plenty, but He is patient and loving and never turns His back on us.  When I am walking through a valley and experiencing the searing pain of the Refiner's fire I am reminded of how much God loves me.  My Heavenly Father loves me enough to guide me through seasons of suffering in order to conform me into the image of Christ.  It is in understanding this truth and meditating on it that my pain begins to produce strength gained by being yoked with Christ and I find myself rejoicing even through tears.  


Below is a psalm that is particularly comforting to me.  It is my prayer that you will find comfort in it as well.


Psalm 91
My Refuge and My Fortress


He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say to the LORD,"My refuge and my fortress, 
my God, in whom I trust."


For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
You will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilences that stalks in darkness,
nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.


A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand, 
but it will not come near you.
You will only look with your eyes
and see the recompense of the wicked.


Because you have made the LORD your dwelling place-
the Most High, who is my refuge-
no evil shall be allowed to befall you,
no plague come near your tent.


For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread on the lion and the adder;
the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.


Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
When he calls to me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble; 
I will rescue him an honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him 
and show him my salvation."



No comments: